- ¼ Cup Whole Egg Mayonaisse
- ½ Cup Greek Yoghurt
- 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil (more if required)1
- 1½ Tbsp of Dijon mustard
- 1 Tbsp of wholegrain mustard
- ¼ Tsp ground cumin
- 1 clove of garlic (or 1 tsp of jar crushed garlic)
- 1 Tsp lemon juice
- ½ Tsp white sugar
- Small handful of chives, finely chopped
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- 2 x Heads of fresh broccoli, cut into small pieces
- 500g Streaky bacon, cooked crispy(ish)
- ⅔ Cup Pine nuts, roasted
- 2 handfulls each of Rocket & Baby Spinach
- 60 to 80g shaved parmesan cheese2
- 1 medium red onion, finely sliced
- Cook the bacon to your liking, somewhat crunchy is quite nice. Then cut into small pieces3
- In a fry-pan (or in the oven if you prefer), roast the pine nuts gently, being careful not to burn them.
- In a large bowl, mix the broccoli, pine nuts, bacon (once cooled), onion, salad leaves & parmesan
- Whisk all the dressing ingredients together in a medium sized bowl4
- When you are ready to serve, pour the dressing in small portions over the salad, mixing well as you go.
You will be surprised how much dressing will go into the salad. There is, however usually a little left over for me, just make sure you mix it all well.
When serving, bear in mind that the small bits - pine nuts, bacon & onion will often sink to the bottom of the bowl - if serving on a platter, just place these bits on top.
I like to replace up to ⅓ of the olive oil with a garlic infused olive oil. You can also use the oilve oil to make the dressing more running, allowing it to spread a little more easily. ↩
Feel free to use grated parmesan, I think it looks a little nicer with shaved ↩
The bacon can be cut before or after cooking - I prefer after because I feel it is easier to control ↩
Make sure you taste the dressing before pouring it onto the salad - to reduce the strength of flavours, add more yoghurt & mayo to the dressing. ↩